Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Wow... I Promise More Consistency And...

I need to put my money where my mouth is apparently.  I say that I'll post more, and then, instead of writing, I go an become enamored by the siren song of Facebook, among other things.  It's hard to write when doing things like internet games, Facebook, and sports websites.  That's the problem with technology; it's easy to be distracted instead of doing what you should be doing.  I made this blog as a writing project.  Instead of writing, I do nothing more than succumb to the sweet oblivion of the internet.

Some of my family members suggested that I do more than just write on this blog.  They have no idea what a compliment that is to me.  What I post on here is raw, unplanned, and unedited drivel.  This is the roughest of the rough that "dear reader" sees.  I have never before shown any kind of writing to anyone without at least one rewrite.  Not before I started doing this.  They have suggested that I start trying to publish these musings of mine.  That's not a bad idea, but I need to do some work on some of my posts thus far.  Raw usually means with lack of description.  They need some rewrites, but I can do that.

At least I write my posts out on Microsoft Works (yes, I'm cheap and unwilling to buy Microsoft Office.  A word processing program is a word processing program) and save them. Well, this present posting excluded. That will at least make the job of rewrites a somewhat easier task.  I just need to read through my posts and figure out the one on which I'd like to start rewrites.  I can be sure that, In the Beginning I Shook will certainly make that list.  That would likely end up as a first chapter.

As for my obvious lack of consistency, I think I'm going to have to give myself deadlines to post.  Maybe once a week would do.  Maybe I can do it on Saturday evenings.  Maybe I can make sure they're posted at 8:00 PM.  I like that idea.  I like it a lot.  Plus, posting only once a week does two things.  It makes me more consistent, and I can have a better planned sort of post.  It'll be still pretty rough when posted to the blog, but the planning will definitely not suffer.

As for content, I've had two types.  The first is  my life with PD.  The second was life as a Christian, which turned out sounding like some kind of bible reading instruction, which wasn't what I was going for.  I need to combine my PD with my faith, but not in the this is what the Bible says about dealing with this problem sort of way.   So, next Saturday, at 8:00 PM, there will be a new post.  Please, dear reader, help me hold to this.  Leave me nasty messages if I don't.

2 comments:

  1. i am good monkey
    love always
    babylove

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading the story by Jon prompted me to write. I hope you have fond a reason to continue your blog. I would like to say that this is a letter of encouragement and hope, but it is not. My Internet search for a listening ear brought me to this site, I just wanted to read where people still have hope to go on after Parkinson's.
    I am a 66 years old man and retired as a Special Ed. teacher after 41 years. I was so surprised when my family doctor wanted me to see a neurologist about two years ago for what I believed to be essential tremors. Some time before that I'd had a stroke and attributed my tremors to that.
    But, after some tests and an evaluation process, my neurologist explained that I had Stage II Parkinson's Disease.
    After I was released from the hospital, I had difficulty with my balance requiring me to use a walker full time and strangely enough suffer a loss of both my sense of smell and taste, I thought I would recover all of those things very quickly upon my release. That did not happen.
    After two years, My balance has gotten worse requiring full use of my walker to help my slow gait. Nor have I recovered my sense of smell or taste, which I've never read any connected documentation.
    My tremors have gotten so bad that I can hardly carry anything like a plate of food or a glass of liquid without spilling it all over anyone or anything around me.
    Now, after trying several drugs to help with the tremors, balance, taste and smell, I am ready to quit trying. I am just so frustrated!
    I don't have a plan at this point, but thoughts keep me awake at night as they race around in my head.
    My neurologist wants me to see a psychologist or psychiatrist to talk about these issues, but I don't know if I can.
    If this is not the proper forum for these comments, please feel free to delete them. I just wanted to see if there were others who had gotten through some of these things. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete